Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sleepovers....

So this is my third attempt at blogging about Caitlin's sleepover last night. The first two attempts were simply too detailed and unnecessarily gripey. Let's see...Two of the neighbor girls spent the evening and night with us last night and were amazingly well behaved. One of the girls has a "sensory disorder" that makes everything feel more extreme from physical to emotional, so I was prepared for at least one meltdown and even half expected to have to walk her home around bedtime. As a result when bedtime came and all three girls snuggled down into their respective sleeping bags and went straight to sleep without a fight I was more than a little surprised. Not to mention happy! I had picked the two girls up at 4pm yesterday afternoon and walked them back to our place where they played until dinner time, then they played again while I cleaned up from the meal and prepared (very very small) root beer floats to have while they enjoyed a movie. It was off to bed immediately following the movie and to calm the giggling and whispering that threatened to keep them up all night I simply read them a bedtime story and told them that if they wanted to hear the story then they had to lay down and close their eyes.The girls slept through the night and woke up happy and ready to play. They woke up earlier than I would have preferred, but since I escaped the evening and night without tears I really shouldn't complain. Now two and a quarter hours after getting up, they have been fed (pancakes and waffles), dressed in clean clothes, and are happily playing again. Caitlin's bedroom may take me an hour to clean when they leave but all in all it was a successful sleepover. My only concerns are the fact that neither one of the girls' mothers felt like they needed to come over to see where their kids would be spending the night and neither one even asked me what my last name was! They have my apartment number and cell phone number and that was good enough for them. Weird. I would NEVER allow Caitlin to even go play at someones house without first having been to the place myself and I would know more than just the first name of only one of the adults staying in the house. I guess I just put off a very respectable trustworthy vibe, weird but there you have it. Or maybe I'm just over protective and paranoid about my daughters safety, but I can't imagine not at least asking a few questions, like 'Who will be staying at the house?' and 'What is your last name?' You know basic information about where your child will be staying and who they will be exposed to. Oh well at least they're having fun together.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I guess I am an overprotective, paranoid parent also because I would NEVER let my kids go with someone I didn't know personally! Wow! I am amazed! You must give out good vibes, girl!

Shannon Trunde said...

Makes two of us! My kids won't go anywhere with out the who, what, when, where, and why! Youdo put out good vibes, question is would you let yours go to theirs with the vibes you get.

Sarah Landa said...

Shannon, the answer to your question is yes and no. I would allow Caitlin to go to one of the two girls' house but not the other. I won't punish the child for the sins of the parent though, so Caitlin is allowed to play with both kids- at our house or school only though.