
While we were at the beach in the begining of the month Caitlin and I had an opportunity to visit the Oregon Coast Aquarium. I was a volunteer at the aquarium for two years during highschool so the place holds a special spot in my heart. Caitlin had never been to the aquarium and I was really looking forward to showing it to her. Unfortunately for me, she wasn't particularly interested in most of the aquarium information. Santa was available for pictures and they were offering face painting- one of Caitie's most favored activities. She did touch of few of the tidepool animals which was a first for her, usually she just watches me. I tried to give her some education regarding the animals and their habitat, but I am not sure how much of it sunk in. Oh well one step at a time- at least she touched the sea stars. The aquarium opened at night on the last Friday and Saturday that we were in town as a benefit for the Lincoln County Food Share, which was desperately low on food. The entrance fee was waived if each person brought at least two cans/boxes of food. We went both nights and brought a lot of food each night. I am always impressed by Caitlin's generousity and compassion. When I explained why we were giving food, she immediately wanted to give more and maybe to buy some toys to give also. She may not have learned much about habitat conservation or the animals themselves, but she certainly learned about helping our fellow humans in their times of nee
d. 


No comments:
Post a Comment