Sunday, July 12, 2009
Feeling Productive
Well the weekend was rough, but I have a delightful sense of accomplishment this evening. I am currently sitting on my couch listening to Billy Joel croon about being on the Downeaster Alexa, contemplating going back to sleep. Since Friday when I broke down and whined about being sick, I have slept A LOT. I came home from work fed my daughter and then turned responsibility of her entertainment over to Ryan. Oddly she didn't sleep in on Saturday the way she usually does, but-(being a "bad" parent)- I allowed her to watch Saturday morning cartoons while I did sleep in. Then we went to the store for some cold medicine me and Advantage for the cat, and it was pretty much straight back into bed for me. I kept getting dizzy and nauseated when I stood up too long. I managed to read some and sleep off and on until Ryan got home and took her to the coast for some actual entertainment. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not completely anti-TV, I just don't want to be one of those parents who doesn't interact with her child, who always just plops them in front of the tube to get them out of her hair. There are times, like when I am really sick and have a hard time entertaining myself let alone my child that I am eternally grateful for the TV and DVDs. I just usually feel guilty when I use it as a "baby sitter". So they left Saturday afternoon/evening and I went to sleep by about 8pm. I kept having coughing fits that would wake me up through the night so I pretty much stayed in bed all day today. By 3pm though my conscience was starting to attack me, "You've done nothing all weekend! You've lazed around and haven't even done laundry! You need to fill your gas tank before leaving for work at 5am tomorrow! What are you gonna take for lunch? What are you gonna wear? Do you even know what the weather is going to be like tomorrow?" So I forced my lazy self out of bed to do the laundry, shower, grocery shop and change the sheets on both mine and Caitie's beds. Then since I was up and clean anyway I figured I'd take it a step farther and change, not just scoop the cat's litter box, and take out the trash. And since I was in the bathroom I may as well scrub down the toilet and sink and counters. I still feel ick. Tired, achy, coughy, and occasionally dizzy, but I feel good too. Not physically good, but mentally good. I didn't give in and let this cold kick me or keep me from being responsible. I am prepared for the coming week, my clothes for work are laid out on the couch, my lunch is waiting in the fridge, my car has a full tank of gas and I even know that it'll be in the low 70s tomorrow. I feel like I accomplished something this weekend despite the fact that all I wanted was my mommy and some Tylenol. Yay Me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You are a much, much better sick person than I. When I'm sick, I lay down until my conscience fades away.
Good job Sarah! You may have been physically sick but mentally you are healthy and raring to go! Good for you for persevering!
Post a Comment