Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Happy Spring Day

The sun is shining today. It's still cool outside, but the bright sun and the tender shoots of new growth around fill me with hope. I am ready for new adventures, for laughter and joy to fill the air.  I'm thinking softball leagues and bicycle rides and picnics in the park. Swing sets and basketball hoops and hikes up to see waterfalls. Flowing skirts and strappy sandals, painted toenails and shaved legs. Open windows, clean and bright with breezes clearing the stagnancy out of my life. I just love this time of year. Everything feels so new and fresh and it inspires me to clean out the old and the clutter. I want to paint the walls, buy new curtains, change the old heavy comforter for a light, brightly colored handmade quilt. I want to paint my currently dark stained dining room table a light country kitchen white. I want to join the church choir and sing praises to the heavenly hosts for this glorious weather.

I let Caitlin wear flip flops to school today for the first time- EVER. It was my own way of celebrating spring with reckless abandon. I may regret the decision when it becomes a fight to wear flip flops everyday, or I might just give in and let her wear what she wants to. After all she's the one who'll have to deal with any unpleasant repercussions, like splinters if she plays on the bark chip filled playground, and really she's only little for such a short time. I want her childhood to be filled with happy cheerful memories. Colorful sandals make her happy and that makes me happy.

I started researching ballet schools today because Caitlin has been asking for lessons again. She took ballet for a couple of years during preschool and it has been 3 years since any formal dance training. The new season and sunshine makes me feel like its possible to fit it into our schedule and budget. I feel like I can do anything and everything that I set my mind to.

I received an email from Caitlin's school principal today inviting me to join the PTA Board for the coming school year. She said, "I thought you would be an amazing addition--bringing leadership, educational perspective, and a heart for contribution."  I felt so honored that I wrote her back to request more details and to express my interest in participating. The timing of the email was just so perfect with my new spring, "I can do anything and everything" attitude, and while it may not be every woman's dream come true to sit on the school PTA, its a little bit of one for me. I have always wanted to be a suburban mom with a happy home, involved in my child's school and life. I love being her Girl Scout troop leader, taking TaeKwonDo with her and I used to, so probably will again, love watching her all dressed up with her hair in a ballerina bun while she participates in ballet lessons. It is such a blessing and a privilege to be a mom. I want to rejoice in every moment of it.

I still have a strong desire to go back to school and change careers, but the urgency is fading. I can do it all, but I don't have to do it all right now. Right now I want to focus on; finding the perfect house to purchase, being the best most positive mom/role model possible, being a loving wife, a supportive friend. I want to focus on the blessings that I have been given rather than those that have yet to find their way into my life. I want to renew my spirit in the joy of Spring!

No comments: