Sunday, March 7, 2010
What a lovely day.
So today (well yesterday really since its 3am) was a LOT of fun. First I spent all day with my friend Sara and her beautiful daughter Lauren. We talked and laughed and shared stories and watched our children play together. It was absolutely wonderful. You see, my friend Sara was my absolute BESTEST friend all through middle school. We had so very much in common; the same Perfect name, we were both raised vegetarian, we both loved to read, we were both fascinated with Native American culture... and we were 'pre-teens'. I think I found a soul sister in Sara when we were twelve years old. Then she moved:( Then I moved:( and we lost track of each other. I still thought of her often and wondered where life was leading her, but didn't think that we'd ever reconnect. I mean how could we? I had gotten married and changed my last name, maybe she had too. Her parents had gone their separate ways years before and it's not like my parents have their telephone number listed, besides did she even know that we had moved to Newport? But thanks to the blessed social networking site of Facebook, we've reconnected after more than 15 years! Hallelujah! So we spent the day just catching up on some of what our lives have been like since we lost contact. I know it's going to take many many many more Saturdays full of long conversations to fill each other in on what's gone on since the eighth grade, but I'm ok with that. In fact I'm really looking forward to it! The best part is- she's only a few miles away from me- just one town over in fact! How's that for a small world? We've lived near each other for the last six years at least and didn't even know it. We even had a membership to the same gym! Crazy. The second reason today was a lot of fun was because tonight we celebrated my friend Jantina's birthday. Honestly I thought I wasn't going to have a good time, and I kinda didn't want to go, but she really wanted me to come so I said alright. We went to a drag queen show in Portland called Darcelle's. It's big for bachelorette parties and birthdays and was actually quite funny. When Tina first called me to say that she wanted to go out, I thought to myself- Crap! I didn't like the "bar scene" when I was in my twenties and it was socially acceptable. Now I'm a mom, I"m thirty one years old, I don't drink...this is gonna stink. But I said I'd go and just planned on acting as the designated driver. I was pleasantly surprised to find the even at 79 years old Darcelle is FUNNY! I'd gone once before to see the drag queen strut his stuff for Chandra's bachelorette party. It was funny but I was frankly too young (read immature) to really enjoy the show. I was embarrassed almost the entire night and just couldn't wait to go home. This time the racy jokes didn't bother me and I was able to appreciate the amount of work it takes these she-men to choreograph and learn their routines. I'm up much much later than I should be and tomorrow I'm gonna pay for it, but for tonight I'm glad I went. I'm glad that I'm grown up enough to not be embarrassed by it and I'm glad that Tina had a fun "girls night" birthday celebration. I'm glad for my new years resolution to accept more invitations. I have been having a really fun year because of it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment