
Well we tried the gluten free diet for a week and a half then gave it up. A.) It's a pain in the behind B.) It did nothing to relieve Caitlin's stomach ache issues C.) Its a really big pain in the behind! I know you're supposed to try it for 6 weeks or so but really there should be some sort of improvement after 10 days at least, and we actually had worse symptoms while she was off of wheat. So I just took her to see her pediatrician today and he ordered stool samples (YUCK!) and took a urine sample at the office, and believes that it may be related to anxiety. Great. What does that say about me as a parent? It says that I'm stressing my six year old out so much that she's having anxiety attacks that's what! Actually we already knew that she had anxiety issues because we had her tested for developmental delays with a pediatric developmental specialist and he said that the only thing he noticed about her (other than that she's extremely polite and sweet natured) is that she shows some signs of "Mild social anxiety" but not to a clinical level. Wonderful. His suggestion was to enroll her in Tae Kwon Do lessons to help her develop some confidence as that particular martial art focuses so heavily on discipline. This made me laugh loudly and for a long time because I've been saying the same thing for 2 years! Ryan wasn't opposed to enrolling her in martial arts, but he also didn't want to force her to do them when she wasn't interested. So now we're enrolling as a family. We'll just have to keep working day by day to help her over come her fear of failure. In other news today we came home from the doctor to discover that her "prize" for having sold the most stuff in her school fundraiser had finally arrived. It was a 5 lb Hershey Bar!!

Oh my goodness was she excited! She didn't know that she had won so it was really funny to see her react. Of course the UPS man got all the credit for it because she barely even remembers her school fundraiser, let alone the possible prizes. I think she believes he just randomly dropped it off for her.

And while Lucas and Caitie were playing this weekend they decided to take a 'nap' in the apple boxes that I used to take home all my groceries from Costco. Those kids crack me up! If I'm lucky the Hershey Bar will put her into such a sugar induced stupor that the anxiety will disappear forever. I know that much chocolate would make any of my "problems" go away for a really long time!
1 comment:
I used to get anxiety-induced stomach aches as well. I think enrolling in tae-kwan-do (or however it's spelled/hypehenated) is a great idea! And I'm super jealous about that chocolate bar....
Post a Comment